02 May 2018

Kira Nerys Photo Gallery

Goodness, I disappoint myself that I have never really given my Kira Nerys cosplay its dues!  No promises, but since there is always interest whenever I post the few photos I have, I thought it time to add them here.  I've recently become aware of a technique for making prosthetics using gelatin rather than latex, and I am excited to give that a try, as I always found the main problem with this costume was blending my Bajoran nose in to the small area on either side of the bridge of my nose.  Gelatin can be "melted" away, a subtractive process that will work better than the additive process of blending a latex prosthetic in such a tiny area.

I originally made this cosplay in two pieces because Bajoran uniforms are meant to be composed of a jacket and trousers.  I found later, however, that there were in fact two versions of the uniform, necessarily, because the separate jacket rides up like non one's business and pretty soon you're showing skin.  So I retroactively attached the two garments at the waist, where I wish I had made then as one from the beginning.

I made the belt out of leather, tooled the cross hatch design into it, and then finished in in Kira's signature reddish-maroon color.  I purchased my earring from Roddenberry.com, which I highly recommend, as it comes in both a pierced and a clip-on version, the latter being perfect for my unpierced ears.

For a bit of a joke, and so that I had a place to carry necessities, I bought a flower pot and penned "Odo" onto it.  I was kind of disappointed that only a few people got the joke, but those few were worth the trouble of trying to locate a flower pot in Boston in January.

There is one progress post for this cosplay, which can be read here.   I don't remember a lot of what I wrote, but I do know that you'll get a look at the initial attempt I made to cast my belt out of latex, which was just a bad idea.  Live and learn!  Though I must say how interesting it is to look back at some of my more questionable costuming memories.

All of these photos were taken by the Arisia 2016 Photo Booth. These are scans of glossy printouts, which is not ideal.


No comments:

Post a Comment